ABOUT THIS BLOG

ABOUT THIS: My boyfriend and I are getting hitched in Iceland this summer. Okay, you're all caught up.

Our Registries

OUR REGISTRIES


Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Book 'Em


DAYS REMAINING: 346

Look what came in the mail today...this! A gift from us to us!

At first, I resisted buying a planning guide of any kind. After all, shouldn't our non-conformist gay Icelandic wedding be, by its very nature, non-conformist? But, having been born without the wedding gene, I realized I didn't want to commit some heinous faux pas and have everyone we invite drowning out the recitation of our vows, whispering to one another, "...and the invitation and response card weren't even separated by a piece of tissue paper! Gauche comes to Reykjavik is all I'm saying." Ruzzah ruzzah and so on.

I shouldn't even have desired a book about "gay weddings." I've said before that Eric and I didn't want to view this wedding as a "gay wedding." But spend a couple of minutes poking around on TheKnot.com (not linking it...you can find it if you want to badly enough) and you'll realize that you need to search a little farther afield for information on less traditional weddings.

In the end, I decided to support the gay wedding industry in whatever way I could, considering my repeated contention that legalizing gay marriage in California would basically save or create about a billion private sector jobs and save the entire economy. And this book is considered the best of breed, among shockingly little competition. But if you think it's hard to find a comprehensive text about planning a gay wedding, good luck finding a good one detailing the process of gay adoption.

No comments:

Post a Comment