ABOUT THIS BLOG

ABOUT THIS: My boyfriend and I are getting hitched in Iceland this summer. Okay, you're all caught up.

Our Registries

OUR REGISTRIES


Monday, September 27, 2010

Bad News Good News Good News Good News


DAYS REMAINING: 326

From: Daniel
To: Eric

Hey, so. You are going to LOVE this:

BAD NEWS - Due to budget cuts (which I think is Icelandic for "collapsed economy"), the District Commissioner no longer makes house calls. Or, in our case, hotel calls. If we had the civil ceremony performed by the commissioner on the planned Friday, it would have to be at 17:00 or 17:30, and the courthouse is not big enough to accommodate guests. And with the reception starting at 5 (er, sorry...17!), this would not work for several reasons.

GOOD NEWS - Don't despair! Anna, despondent that our guests would fly across the ocean and be deprived of a ceremony (which, I have to say, is how I feel), made the following incredible offer. Okay, stick with me here. Anna got married earlier this year, and she and her husband had the ceremony performed by...a priest. Anna is religious but her husband is not at all (I told you I'm finding out a ridiculous amount about her...she's already emailed me pictures of her wedding), so they were married by a nondenominational priest. He does church-y services (in keeping with his "priest" training, one would assume), but performs all sorts of ceremonies for all sorts of people. By the time she called me, Anna had already taken the liberty of calling him herself, and he said he would "absolutely" perform the ceremony if we wanted, meet with us beforehand, and leave out any and all godly references, as we see fit. Just someone to administer the vows. And he would wear a suit. And marry us. In Iceland. By a priest. Who doesn't seem fazed by our nuptials in the slightest. It's Iceland. Marry a glacier for all they care!

GOOD NEWS - If he performs the ceremony, he would also take care of the paperwork, so we wouldn't have to go to the courthouse on the day of the wedding at all.

GOOD NEWS - While I had Anna on the phone, I asked her about the pools and whether we had to book some sort of group event for the day, or if we could just show up en masse. She said that the facility is huge and not to worry at all about booking in advance. We'll go look at the place when I'm there in December and you and I can decide how we want to coordinate it. For now, I'm leaving the wording vague enough on the itinerary that we can TBD some of the details via email downstream.

If you agree with the above, we are good to go with the itinerary text, which I would like to send to Tracy Tracey Tracie ASAP. I'm forwarding it to you right now. Let me know what changes you have and
we'll have the invitations finished, like, today.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment