ABOUT THIS BLOG

ABOUT THIS: My boyfriend and I are getting hitched in Iceland this summer. Okay, you're all caught up.

Our Registries

OUR REGISTRIES


Monday, October 11, 2010

Single Tear


DAYS REMAINING: 312

Look.

I want to celebrate the miracle of life and the sanctity of marriage. I want to remember the strides we've made -- if not in this country, then at least in other parts of the world -- when it comes to federalized marriage equality. I want to continue to thrill to the fact that our family and friends are going to fly across an ocean to see two boys get married, because that's how fine it is that we're getting married. My my thinks so. My grandmother thinks so. Hell, the PRIEST thinks so.

I want to keep this blog upbeat despite the Rutgers suicide, the Bronx hate crime, the continued dual messes of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" and Prop 8, the fact that Tony Perkins was allowed to write an Op-Ed for the real, actual Washington Post in which he wrote, "Since homosexual conduct is associated with higher rates of sexual promiscuity, sexually transmitted diseases, mental illness, substance abuse, and domestic violence, it qualifies as a behavior that is harmful to the people who engage in it and to society at large."

Lovely.

So what CAN we celebrate from a gender/sexuality/equal rights perspective in this bigoted, broken world of Perkins and Palladino? You already know the answer, so sing it with me if you love Bjork...Iceland! Today, the World Economic Forum's Global Gender Gap Report released its list of greatest gender equality by nation. And guess whop came in at a pretty decent #1?

It's true!

(Since you asked, America is #19. Which is actually UP from last year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment